Debbie Turner | School Archivist
From 1917 to 1925, George Carter was one of Southport’s most prominent builders and a few examples of his work still stand today.
Apart from building, Carter had a passion for unusual cars and oysters. He owned several large boats and oyster banks at Land’s End to ensure a constant supply of his favourite food. When he moved to Brisbane in 1925, he bought oyster beds on Morton Island.
Carter’s Basin and Carter’s Bank were popular fishing spots for Gold Coast anglers.
In 1920, he built a shop underneath for the town’s first tailors, W. Olney and in 1922, he built the Southport Ambulance station in Nerang Street and many of the buildings and houses in and around Southport.
Most of his constructions have since been demolished to make way for redevelopment, but one important building still stands today, St Alban’s Chapel at TSS.
Built in 1919-1921, St Alban’s Chapel remains a legacy to Carter’s craftsmanship.
Copyright © 2018 The Southport School The Corporation of the Synod of the Diocese of Brisbane trading as The Southport School
All Rights Reserved CRICOS Provider: 00523F Web Design by 7thVision