Mrs Debbie Turner – School Archivist
Gymnastics is the oldest GPS sport, commencing, unofficially, in 1915. The first competition was won by Brisbane Grammar School. When the GPS was officially formed in 1918 the records from 1915 were added.
TSS would have to wait until 1935 to win the GPS Gymnastics Competition.
During World War II, the American Army took over TSS as a rehabilitation hospital for wounded soldiers. During their stay, they built a gymnasium at the back of the Clock Tower building.
When the Americans vacated at the end of the war, the returning TSS boys readily took advantage of these facilities for Gymnastic practice sessions. In time, they added bars, rings, mats, weights and a pommel horse.
The Old Gym became a storeroom in later years and, in more recent years, was converted to the Old Gym Café which the boys use today.
Good luck to our GPS Gymnastic team for 2017.
Copyright © 2018 The Southport School The Corporation of the Synod of the Diocese of Brisbane trading as The Southport School
All Rights Reserved CRICOS Provider: 00523F Web Design by 7thVision