Refreshing the Food Offering at TSS
Mr Tony Watt – Dean of Boarding
TSS boarding have unveiled a new improved food offering for our boys. At the conclusion of last year, and after great consultation with relevant stakeholders, we held a number of meetings with the current company to address perceived shortcomings.
The Headmaster and School Council have committed extra financial resources to address food related issues and we’re confident the following changes will be well received by the boys.
- Juice Station. Available each morning at breakfast, a freshly made juice option is provided. The attached menu has a full list of juices for the month but includes orange and rock melon, carrot and ginger and watermelon and strawberries.
- Smoothie Station. Available every afternoon as an addition to the afternoon tea option. On specific days under supervision, boys will be able to make their own, following a recipe of the day. Again, please refer to the attached menu to see some the smoothie options but include combinations such as raspberry and vanilla, pineapple and mango and even a green machine of spinach, kale, coconut water and celery. Focus is flavour and taste with great nutritional value.
- Salad/Sandwich Station. Available every lunch sitting, this option is on top of the normal lunch menu. This is a great addition where boys can make a sandwich, and create their own salad. This initiative gives the boys greater choice- something that has been lacking in previous years and I believe a welcomed change in 2018.
- Rice Station. Available at every lunch and dinner, a number of different rices- fluffy white, wild and brown, the boys will be able to put their own spin on every dish- from coriander to soy sauce- the station will be filled with an abundance of sauces, spices and flavourings.
- Two protein offerings at dinner. Previously the boys had only the one offering but now have a choice. The accompanying sides will be controlled by the boys (under boarding staff supervision) as they choose what they would like to have with their protein choice.
- Themed Nights will be taken to a new level such as burger day, taco day, grand final fever and even October Fest (without the beer!).
- Outside Meals. To change the scenery, specific meals will be cooked and served outside. To address the sense of sameness that sometimes is associated with catering for large numbers, we are looking for opportunities to take the offering outside. Specific equipment has been purchased to achieve this.
- Refreshing the physical space. Although the Dining Hall is a wonderful example of the great architecture of TSS, we have refreshed the equipment, servery areas and bay maries to ensure a more modern feeling and atmosphere is created. Much of the equipment is dated and possesses an institutionalised feeling so a fresh look at this aspect will add to the actual food offering. We are, for example, putting wooden tool boxes on Dining Hall tables where napkins, cutlery and sauces will be contained, offering a more homely ambiance.
Draft Menu 2018